SUPER BOWL SUNDAY CHARITABLE SEW 2021
February 7, 2021
This year for our Super Bowl Sunday Charity sewing event at Tiger Lily Quilt Co., we’re going to make drawstring tote bags for the YWCA Women’s Domestic Violence Shelter. The bags and donated items will be for the women and children who seek emergency services with little or no personal belongings to meet their basic needs. Their needs are greater than ever.
The event will kick-off on Super Bowl Sunday, February 7, 2021. We’ll be collecting items for the month of February so there is time to get involved!
We won’t be meeting at the shop to sew, but we’ve provided a pattern and a video tutorial for making drawstring tote bags. The pattern is free, please feel free to download or print it. If you aren’t able to participate by making a tote bag or shopping for items to donate, monetary donations will also be collected. No amount is too small and all will go to good use! Gifts can be made through the shop or given directly to the YWCA.
Suggestions for items to donate:
· Tote Bags – Pattern and tutorial on the Tiger Lily website. If you need fabric or ribbon drawstring, please call the shop to get them at no charge.
· Masks – A big request from the shelter. If you need elastic, fabric or a pattern, let us know. Elastic has been donated by the Utica Elastic Co. (for charitable use only) and we’ll provide it to you at no charge.
· Personal Care Items – Hand sanitizer, toothpaste and brushes, mouthwash, hair care items/combs/brushes, shampoo, tissues/wipes, feminine care items, soap/body wash, razors, diapers, etc.
· New Clothing items – socks/underwear for women & children, hats/mittens/scarves, slippers, T-shirts, sweatpants.
· Miscellaneous – Notebooks/journals, coloring books, crayons/pens/colored pencils/playdough/playing cards, small handheld games or toys, Towels/washcloths.
For those of you who come to this event every year and know that Linda’s husband, Larry, always provides us with a big pot of his amazing chili, fear not! He has graciously provided us with his recipe! Many thanks to both Linda and Larry for their hard work and dedication to this project each year. 2022 will be back in the shop. Scroll on and you will find written instructions and Linda’s class as well! Let’s start with first things first! Get your pot of chili cooking! Tote Supply List immediately following recipe.